Friday 21 May 2010

Events of yester-year

I was looking through my Aperture library and the BE fixture just now to see which events I should enter this season, and was reminded of a few favourite events that have now bitten the dust.

Charlton Park Horse Trials was always one of my favourites, a really nice big flowing track over parkland, parking could be tricky, but the showground had plenty of space for warm-up etc. I'm not sure why this one shut down, but it is a real shame.

Savernake Horse Trials in Wiltshire was another great event, a lovely vista, a decent track (and for me very local). This event shut down after a rider death a few years back.

Mattingley is apparently moving to Wellington Riding School. I hope Wellington have spent some of the £0.75M refurb on the cross country facilities, because I didn't find them particularly impressive when I saw them 3 or 4 years ago. Mattingley was also one of my favourites, despite having mixed results here (eliminated in the showjumping after slipping in mud, snapped a rein cross country - finished albeit with time penalties, coming 4th & 5th, beating Zara Phillips!) It has a really well balanced track and given they spent a far bit on further groundworks for last year I'm a little surprised it's changing venue, a good 'medium-tough' set of courses.

Lulworth Castle, what a great event.

Oh well, no use crying in our milk, I just hope Brockenhurst, Highclere and Hambleden continue to feature in the fixture list......bring it on.....

No comments:

Post a Comment