Saturday 31 July 2010

Memories of Mattingley Horse Trials

1st time back after wind op - Mattingley Horse Trials
This weekend sees the last running of Mattingley Horse Trials to take place at Blue House Farm. Whilst not one of the 'big ones' this event was always well patronised and a favourite for many. Entries were nearly always full and you would always find yourself rubbing shoulders with the world's 4 star elite.

I remember the first time I competed here with my grey horse just after his throat operation and just wanting to take a nice easy pace in one of the baby classes just to give him a gentle re-introduction. The ground was also quite firm, but he was quite excited to be back - he does love competition or any type of ceremony.


I'm not too sure of the reasons for this event moving up the road to Wellington Equestrian Centre, but I'm assuming it isn't financial. The amount of work out on the cross country course over the last few years is why I found the move to Wellington so surprising. A new bank and 'sunken road' can't have been financially inconsequential.

Two events were run here in May & July, with classes from intro to intermediate novice. The going here could be a bit fickle year to year but generally the cross country course was pretty good, although I do remember getting eliminated from the showjumping one year when we slipped over. The ground in the showjumping ring was like soup and turning a corner we went straight down and that was that, in the same year everyone was being pulled on and off the lorry park.



I've had some highlights though. I've been placed at Mattingley, and pretty much thoroughly enjoyed going to the event.

Here's a few memories:




farewell Mattingley - fond memories.....

No comments:

Post a Comment