Monday 8 September 2014

Goring Heath Horse Trials 2014: Road Test

Goring Heath
For one reason or another I didn't make it to Burghley this year, but with a day to myself and a new camera (the Nikon D810) I was itching to try out, I had to head out. With a big cycling event in Oxford & Goring Heath Horse Trials both within reach I flipped a coin and Goring Heath won.



If you'd have asked me a week ago if I had ever been to Goring Heath I would probably have said yes, but today was definitely my first visit, and firstly I have to say top marks to the organising team for their signage around the roads leading to the event - plentiful and clear.

The cross country course is run over undulating farmland, surrounding a woodland copse, whilst the dressage, showjumping and lorry park are a short hop across the road on good level ground.

Michael Rogers & Tradition

If you look through the results you'll notice there's a a good mix of clears, cross country faults and eliminations, so the courses are as testing as the terrain, or perhaps because of it. Even Zara Phillips fell off today. I witnessed plenty of good riding today, including twitter friend, Michael Rogers, who has been making good progress with his horse Tradition, and a few not so smooth cross country rounds, with some cheeky run-outs, drops and stops.

Being Burghley weekend Goring was probably not as busy as it might otherwise be, but it's a great event and one I'd certainly be pleased to ride at.  Sadly to be honest I wasn't really following the competition as a I too pre-occupied with getting used to my new camera. So shamelessly I shall end this post here and leave you with a few photos:














ps. loving my new camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment